Saturday, July 12, 2008

Amazing experience

Okay, I just got back from a wonderful restaurant here in Corpus Christi, Mama Mia's. It was an Italian restaurant owned by a full Italian. I was curious to know where the owner was from and he came around and said he was from Lago di Garda just 4 hours away from Aviano. He also served in the 3rd infantry of the US Army. It was a wonderful meal. We told him about David and how he had died in the crash at San Lucia di Piave. He was moved and kissed me on the forehead 3 times. He also shared his grapa with us (which has not happened in 8 years). Then to top that the whole meal for three of us was on the house!!!!! I am speechless! It is a humbling experience to meet someone who recognizes the sacrifice of my husband. I am so honored! He asked me to bring a picture of David back to his restaurant so he can display it on his wall of American Heroes. I will do it for certain next week! If this doesn't sound quite right it's because of the grapa.

P.S.

Dad says hugs and kisses to my other daughter Rachel!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awwww Rach!! That is soo wonderful. Rememeber there are many,many people who feel the same way!!! Tell Mom and Dad I miss and love them too!!

Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Dear Rachael,

What a wonderful experience! I am not at all surprised at the restaurant owner's response. I believe that, if given the chance, people truly enjoy expressing their gratitude and recognizing the acts of heroism that our men and women in uniform exude. Did you happen to get the owner's name? I am curious.

Years ago I was in a play titled "La Nona." It was about an Italian family that had immigrated to Argentina. I played the lead character, Carmelo. One of the things Carmelo liked to do most was drink grappa! So, like a good actor I did my research - I can still taste that thick licorice-like flavor. So, don't apologize for your blog entry - Mama Mia!

Salute!
David